Diagnosis: A dislocation is an injury in which the bones of the elbow come out of the joint and stay outside of their normal position.
Symptoms: When the elbow is dislocated it may appear deformed or misplaced, swollen, discolored, immobile, and/or intensely painful.
Causes: Elbow dislocations often occur during contact sports such as football or hockey, as well as during sports that involve falling, such as downhill skiing or gymnastics. Dislocations can also be hereditary, as some people are born with “looser” ligaments than others.
Our Physical Therapy Treatment: Treatment will be dependent on the patient and their response to exercise after a reduction. Treatment might include:
- Mechanical diagnosis/treatment
- Stretching exercises to restore range of motion
- Manual mobilizations
- Bracing or taping for stability.
- Joint stabilization exercises
- Task specific performance analysis